My first impressions of web3

Found this to be a very interesting, if sobering, read.

Definitely among the best articles written in this vein of “is Web3 for reals?”

I wrote a response to it upon realising that most of the points made as criticisms are actually addressed by the Laconic Network: In response to Moxie.org "My first impressions of web3" - web3 - Laconic Community

I think Moxie wrote a great article, and I have shared many of the same feelings about the state of and progression of web3 for some time now.

@boris and I have talked about a bunch of this stuff.

This was Vitalek’s response to that article: https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/ryk3it/my_first_impressions_of_web3/hrrz15r/

I don’t believe that most people care about this stuff as much as Vitalek thinks they do. Some definitely do - most definitely don’t.

I don’t agree with his “lack of resources” statement. I think we’ve witnessed an abundance of overly resourced companies in the crypto space over the last several years who have failed to really move the needle that much at all. I think what there hasn’t been, is a unanimous shared vision of what all this web3 stuff was supposed to become and how the industry would get there, and lots of the “resources” over the past few years have been used talking about and somewhat agreeing what web3 is about, rather than building it. That’s no surprise because ultimately, you can’t build what you don’t understand in the first place.

I don’t believe that most people care about this stuff as much as Vitalek thinks they do. Some definitely do - most definitely don’t.

I definitely do. The push for decentralization started all of this stuff. I certainly hope it doesn’t get lost with all the “success”

I don’t agree with his “lack of resources” statement. I think we’ve witnessed an abundance of overly resourced companies in the crypto space over the last several years who have failed to really move the needle that much at all.

Perhaps like the 2017 cycle, most of the funds w/regard to W3 infrastructure have been around promises and hype, and the next couple years will be around implementation & innovation?

Again, my hope is that the decentralization idealists can hold the line and not get pressured too hard by the VCs. Time will tell – and I for one will be on the lookout for the initiatives that promote decentralization.

@robertDouglass totally get (and appreciate) the decentralized graph QL model, but am I right to assume that Laconic isn’t creating a “decentralized Infura”?

If not, I wonder if such a thing (a decentralized read/write network for Ethereum) is possible, and if so who is building that?

Thanks for sharing! It was much discussed in many other channels of mine, glad someone beat me to publishing it here.

Here’s another response post that does a really good job talking through / responding to the post

Also: on not everyone wanting to run servers. This HAS been true. How much can our mobile phones participate? What else can Edge apps do?

The client server model itself is part of the issue, which is why Fission is working on edge apps.

Light clients are a big deal, and more generally the concept of end user apps being able to verify / prove info being sent to them. This is in part what we are building with Laconic as Rob posted, and what Fission has always been about by making use of IPFS and content addressing.

Here’s another take on this by someone that builds on Secure ScuttleButt (SSB):

https://staltz.com/some-people-want-to-run-their-own-servers.html

Really good answers on what the OpenSea “take down” actually meant. It’s NOT the source of truth — all the info is on the blockchain.

Also, the whole “morphing NFT”? This is VERY common on Tezos based art platforms, where an IPFS address often points to a web app, not just a flat JPG. I hope to see more “app NFTs” over time.

And another:

1 Like

I haven’t stopped thinking about wallets and this section for a few days now

Why aren’t people building specialized wallets or integrating profile + wallets?

Trading Crypto + NFTs = quickest way to $… However, this opportunity seems to be the most exciting to me. Or maybe I’m missing something?

Yep you’re right!

I need to do a post about Argent wallet — check it out. A good custodial / non custodial trade off.

The major wallets like MM make their money from hosting swaps.

Rainbow is adding on more and more slick UX and is doing a good job with profiles.

We (Fission) have a play here that we’re starting this year, and adding storage / “your data” there too. Where NFTs are IPFS data in your wallet.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Investigating wallets